There are two benefits of doing so: 1. Increase humidity. 2. Prevent ants from moving in.
Please make sure the water level doesn't reach the bottom of the pot of bodhi tree; otherwise the root of bodhi tree may root ultimately.
Style: In general there is no need to change the style of bodhi tree. If needed, you may refer to this BLOG(Chinese), or this web site (Japanese).
Tips for planting on the ground:
How to produce bookmarker of bodhi tree leaf
- Direction of sun: Bodhi tree needs sunlight. As the direction of sun differs from season to seson, you may evaluate the sunlight of the location for all seasons to see if there will be enough sunlight.
- Strong winds: Bodhi tree is the most afraid of strong wind because its roots are shallow. If there is typhoon in the area, you may evaluate the direction of the wind. It is the best to plant the tree in the opposite side of wind of a mountain or building. You may also trim the tree before typhoon.
- Drainage: Do not plant in a location where water cannot drain well.
- Distance to building: Do not plant bodhi tree close to building or road. Otherwise, its roots may grow into building or roads and cause damage.
- Accidents: Avoid locations which may have accidents. For example, got cleaned up by workers; hit by a car; stole by thief.
- Fertilizer: It is the saftest to put the fertilizer in a circle outside of the tree (where there is no root yet)), because too much fertilizer may burn the root.
- Method 1: Put the leaf in soapsuds (alkaline) and boil it for about three hours. Put it under water and wash away the remaining mesophyll. You can then dye it with different colors.
- Method 2: Put the leaf in 50% alcohol and boil it for about two hours.
- Method 3: Put the leaf in a pot fill with water or gutter. After three weeks sprinkle the leaf to get rid of remaining flesh. When putting the leaf in the pot, make sure you soak the leaf completely under water. Otherwise the parts that are above water (e.g. leaf tip) will be faded and look bad. Any faded parts on a leaf will remain faded even after the process.